Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Work in Progress: Bountiful Blissful Beautiful

This is what my new sculpture looked like after 16 hours of work. I made a few decisions that weren't really smart. I totally forgot to build a support for the neck and head! When I cut it open to shave off some clay (so that my sculpture wouldn't be too heavy), I took off too much clay and caused the neck area to cave in. Luckily, I managed to stop it from collapsing by using a lump of clay to support the head. Now that the clay has become a little dry and stiff, the neck and head seem to be stable (I hope. Keeping my fingers crossed).


After 20 hours of working my sculpture is finally complete. All that I can do now is to wait for it to dry slowly and evenly, and then bisque it. Again, keeping my fingers crossed, hoping it will survive the rest of the process. 
Here's the back view of the sculpture.  I resisted the urge to fill up the space with delicate pieces of decoration which will make it very hard for me to carry the sculpture.
The title of this sculpture is Bountiful Blissful Beautiful, after a song/mantra of the same title. I fell in love with this mantra the first time I heard it in a yoga class. So I decided to create a sculpture based on the song. And that's all I listened to when I was working on this sculpture. For those who are interested, visit this site to listen to Nirinjan Kaur's Bountiful Blissful Beautiful.


Take some time and look deep inside yourself. The truth is, we are all really bountiful, blissful and beautiful. So live gloriously. Sat nam.

No comments:

Post a Comment